Saturday, February 13, 2010

What Are We Teaching At Home?

As usual, I'm reading a book about education. I can't seem to leave those alone. This book that I'm reading right now is a bit different because it's written from and LDS point of view. The author talks about how there are five fundamental parts of any education curriculum: language and expressive arts (dance, painting, music, etc.), math, science, social studies, and morality. All five of these fundamentals have been part of education programs thoughout the world for thousands of years, until recently. I'm sure you can guess which one has been eliminated in the past century: morality.
So, no matter where you choose to educate your children, how do you make sure that they are still being taught morality? How do we teach them what is right and what is wrong? How can we help them to develop a moral character? The world is doing exactly the opposite. We are hearing all the time how things that the Lord has stated emphatically are wrong are now right, good, and acceptable. Those messages are everywhere, and they are wrong; however, unless we are teaching them that those things are wrong, how will our kids learn to distinguish what is right and wrong?
Here, then, is the reason for this post. What are you doing in your home to teach right from wrong? How do you make FHE, family prayer, family scripture study, and other times into effective teaching moments? How are you competing with the confusing messages the world is sending? How are you building fortifications like Captain Moroni to protect your family from the enemy? How are you making sure they aren't missing the most important piece of the curriculum?
I will add my thoughts on this later, but just wondered what you moms think and what you are doing.

1 comment:

  1. Two things that have worked well for us this past year, we turned off the TV, we completely unplugged the cable so no chance of junk commercials etc. We still watch occasional movies but I'm trying to limit those to one's that teach something, we have watched some nonsense too though.
    Second that we began more recently is to discuss our scripture reading. We use to just read the chapter and then maybe comment at the end but we stop a lot now. This was interesting while we were in Jacob talking about multiple wives and concubines, we had almost skipped these chapters. But it gave opportunity to discuss the importance of marriage & honoring women. We also heard comments about what temple we would be going to for weddings(in the next 15-20 years) My boys haven't picked up any of the "ew girls" attitudes yet which I'm thankful for.
    I have another question to go along with this and I hope no one takes this wrong. Everyone makes the decisions they feel best for their family and I don't feel like we put our choices on anyone else.
    But my question is how do you stick with your choices without being made to feel that people think you think you are better than them. My family(meaning me, my kids, spouse) are far from perfect but to give examples: my boys have come home with stories and words from extended family I don't like, I told them to next time to tell those telling the stories etc. that we don't listen to those kind of things. I kind of got a "oh, it's not that bad," reaction. There's also certain TV stations and shows that are absolutely forbidden for my family, and I mean a certain so called kid's station starting with a D. I've gone so far as confining my kids to certain areas of the houses we visit due to improper video games & movies. (My family has different beliefs than me.)
    I know we are supposed to be a peculiar people to the world which I'm fine with, but any ideas on how to bridge gaps with family while maintainng my families standard or will I be forever be viewed as the overprotective overreactor and just need to live with it? I feel most people have had to deal with this in some way, any comments would be helpful.
    PS My children are still young and I are still being taught right and wrong. Within the next year my oldest will be 8 and I expect him to make these choices for himself. Thankfully at this point I am very glad my kids come to me with things they don't feel comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete