Sunday, May 22, 2011

Joy In the Journey

I just read President Uchtdorf's Conference Talk from the Priesthood Session (./lds.org/general-conference/2011/04/your-potential-your-privilege?lang=eng )  In the last section of his talk he spoke about airline pilots who were "merely going through the motions." He compared them to other pilots who had a contagious enthusiasm for flying. Then he said, "We can experience this greater joy if we but look for it. Too often we fail to experience the bliss that comes from daily, practical . . . service. . . . let us not pass through life immersed in the three Ws: wearied, worrying, and whining. We live beneath out privileges when we allow worldly anchors to keep us away from the abundant joy that comes from faithful and dedicated . . . service, especially within the walls of our own homes" (Ensign, May 2011, 61). 
This was so inspiring to me.  I need to find joy in the simple things in my home.  How blessed I am that I get to stay home and see and hear the great things my kids are saying and doing.  I don't have to worry about all the housework after a long day at another job.  When my baby is sad, I am the one who is comforting and holding her, even if the dishes aren't done or dinner isn't even started when my husband gets home.  I get to see her sweet smiles.  I'm the one who gets to see the beautiful rocks that fill the washing machine every laundry day.  I can drop everything and go outside to see the huge black widow my kids are terrified and excited about.  I can hear what they are learning about the gospel.  Ellie explains to us repeatedly that we are sheep and Heavenly Father and Jesus are our shepherds.  Brady announced the other day that there are two things that are always with us:  our shadows and the Holy Ghost.  I can find joy in a husband who works hard to support our family and still takes time to read to the kids, to play with them, to pull weeds, to take out the garbage, to run to the store for me, and more.  Instead of going through the motions because every day is much the same, I need to take the time to enjoy the small moments and have a contagious enthusiasm for motherhood.  The plus in this, besides my own and my family's happiness, is that my kids will look at that being a joyful mother is the greatest calling they could ever have.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts! This is so true! Life is so much more fulfilling when we focus on the positive and enjoy the moments! I haven't read this blog for a really long time! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete