Wednesday, January 27, 2010

To interfere or not?

With morning sickness hanging around over the past month and a half I've had to let a few things slide. In most cases it gets pretty bad, messy rooms, backed up laundry, less than complete meals(except when generous RS sisters help out, thanks again) However I've been pleasantly surprised with something I wasn't expecting, harmony in the home(or relative harmony) I'm usually on hand to break up fights, discipline for hitting, name calling etc. Forcing sorries, hugs & kisses. Lately my response for "so and so hit me." has turned from, "so and so come say sorry and sit in time out." to- "I'm sorry, can you get mommy a tissue for the baby?"
Maybe everyone else has already figured this out but by butting out of my kids issues they seem to have less of them. At first I thought they just figured, mom's too sick to care but now it seems they enjoy resolving conflicts. Sometimes it's big brother suggesting taking turns or little sis splitting the quesadilla in half(this was very cute) "I'll break it in half for you" for the two big brothers. Sorry to go on and on but maybe it's worth a try, the first week wasn't pretty but I can say now fighting is ALMOST non existent. I will let you know if this was all just a fluke or Heavenly Father helping me out because he sees my mile high pile of laundry and knows I need it!

1 comment:

  1. I was reading a book recently called, "Children: The Challenge," and the author said that kids, unconsciously, use fighting as a way to get attention. If they can get us to solve their problems, we are paying attention to them. The author suggested that if we told them that they would have to solve the problems themselves and then ignore it, they would learn better to take care of their own problems and stop using that as a way to get attention. So, maybe it's not a fluke and Heavenly Father helped you figure it out without reading a book or doing loads of research. Anyway, congratulations on being morning sick. I wish I was. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete